It has been a busy month for King School as usual:
Enrollment Balancing/School Closure?
I hope you all were there at one of our meetings with PPS on last Friday or this Tuesday. PPS Enrollment Director, Judy Brennan and Executive Director of School & Operations Support, Harriet Adair, came and explained the process by which PPS hopes to change our N/NE schools so that each has at least 450-500 students. King, being far below this target, is a possible candidate for closure or consolidation with another school as Humboldt was with Boise-Eliot. Parents spoke in support of our school and of continuing our positive progress. Many parents want the boundary to be enlarged for King to meet the district’s enrollment target. Thanks to Senator Chip Shields and PPS School Board Director Greg Belisle for attending as well as supporters from Beach and Chief Joseph. The news coverage is here for Friday’s meeting and here for Tuesday’s meeting.
The PTA has held two smaller gatherings at homes without PPS to discuss our options. We will hold two more:
• Sunday, October 28th, at 4:00 pm at the home of Nick and Karen: 5255 NE Mallory Avenue. RSVP to kwerstein at yahoo.com or 503-381-1670.
• Monday, October 29th, at 6:00 pm at the home of the Hodges: 817 NE Prescott St. RSVP to mrshodges275 at gmail.com or 303-638-2337
Spanish interpretation will be provided on request.
The presentation by PPS is available on their website at: http://www.pps.k12.or.us/departments/enrollment-transfer/7790.htm. There is a facebook group of parents among all the schools in North and Northeast Portland that are affected where we can discuss all of the information and the options at: http://www.facebook.com/groups/291158914333031/. There will be cross-cluster forum on November 13th for parents from all of the schools to come together to discuss what needs to be done collaboratively. Time and location are to be announced. We will keep you posted. PPS will release their proposed changes during the week of Thanksgiving. Information will be posted on the PPS, King School, and King PTA websites and on our King PTA Facebook group at: http://www.facebook.com/groups/kingpta/. Our best chance at staying open and with stable enrollment is for everyone to stay engaged.
Our second-annual King auction committee will hold its first meeting soon. If you can help a little or a lot, drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org. We have a budget of $8000 this year to put on the event so help us plan the party of the year—it’s for the kids!
Teacher Grant Program
Also in the adopted budget was $5000 for grants available for classroom projects that help meet the educational goals of the school. We already granted $500 for iPad software in September so we have $4500 left. An application form will be drawn up and distributed to the staff.
• Friday, Oct. 26th, 9:00 am—King PTA coffee chat in the parent room
• Friday, Oct.r 26th, 2:20 pm—School assembly
• Sunday, Oct. 28th, at 4:00 pm—Enrollment Balancing House Meeting #3
• Monday, Oct. 29th, at 6:00 pm—Enrollment Balancing House Meeting #4
• Friday Nov. 2nd, 9:00 am—Coffee with the Principal
• Wednesday, Nov. 7th, 8:40 am—Umpqua Bank Learn to Earn program returns to accept student deposits
• Thursday, November 8th, 5:00 pm—King PTA meeting
• Friday Nov. 9th, Monday Nov. 12th, No School
• Tuesday Nov. 13th, PPS-sponsored Cross Cluster Enrollment Balancing Forum (time and place to be announced)
As always, our calendar is at: www.kingpta.org/calendar